The Data tab in the Enplug Sign Builder app, allows you to create spreadsheets of linked data to your sign Canvas. You can create dynamic signs by linking data triggered by a specific date, time, and images.
Contents of this guide:
1. To access data binding from the Sign Builder app, click on the "Data" tab
2. Choose to start with an empty spreadsheet or upload an existing spreadsheet
- Upload Existing Spreadsheet:
- Browse to upload the file from your computer
- Supported file types are .xlsx, .xls, or .csv
- If your spreadsheet has no formatted "Date" column you will be prompted to add an optional one for Event Triggers. Choose "Yes" or "No"
- If your spreadsheet has a formatted "Date" column, select a column to use as your Event Trigger
- Select drop-down options to import columns from your spreadsheet and assign file types to column
- Click "Done" to finish importing file
- Edit spreadsheet content as needed
- Select "Save" when complete
- Create Empty Spreadsheet:
- A blank spreadsheet will generate
- Add columns by clicking the button in the far right column
- Remove columns by hovering over the column name and clicking the icon
- Add rows by clicking the button in the bottom row
- Remove rows by clicking the icon in the far right column
- Edit content as needed
- Select "Save" when complete
Set Event Triggers
Event triggers allow you to use a "Date" column to trigger when the graphic will be displayed in the Enplug system. You must have at least 1 "Date" column to use this feature. Follow these steps to set triggers:
1. Click the "Set Trigger" option in the toolbar
2. Select a column as a trigger
Note: The start time for the triggered content is the Date and Time on the corresponding spreadsheet column
3. Set an optional start time for the content prior to the triggered date and time
4. Set an optional end time for your content. The default will be 1 day after the triggered date and time
5. Turn on the "Repeat Yearly" toggle button to set the content to repeat yearly on at the same date and time trigger
6. Click "Save Changes" to apply the trigger(s) to your spreadsheet
7. Once the trigger is saved, you will see "Event Trigger" label in column title
Link Data to Canvas
Once you have content in your spreadsheet, you can link the column to your Canvas. Each row of content will be an individual slide on your Canvas. Follow these steps to link data from a spreadsheet to your Canvas:
1. Link column from Data tab:
- Hover over the column name
- Select the symbol
- Select the "Add as ..." option for your column type. When adding a date you will be prompted to "Add as Date" or "Add as Countdown/up"
- "Countdown/up" will appear on your Canvas as a count down timer based on the date and time in the spreadsheet
- "Date" will appear as a standard date format
- You will be moved to the "Canvas" tab of the Sign Builder app to place the linked content
- Repeat these steps for all columns you wish to add to your Canvas
2. Link data from Canvas tab:
- Select a date, text or image item on the Canvas
- Click the button that appears
- Choose to change the linked data or add a new column in the dropdown
- Add Dynamic Images to your Canvas and spreadsheet
- Select the "Image Placeholder" button
- Click "Setup Data Column"
- You will be directed to the "Data" tab to title the column(s) and upload images
Now your data is linked and you can view and edit it on your Canvas.
1. When you edit the placement of linked dates, text or images, it will move on pages of your Canvas
2. Navigate between your sign previews using the "Preview Row" arrows
3. For more details about using the Canvas tab, please visit this Sign Builder - Canvas article on our Support Center!
Unlink Data from Canvas
If you wish to remove linked data from your Canvas and keep it in your spreadsheet you can unlink columns.
1. Unlink Column from Data tab:
- Hover over the column title until you see the button
- Select the button
- Select "Remove from Canvas"
2. Unlink from Canvas tab
- Click on a date, text or image item from the Canvas
- Select the button that appears
- Click "Unlinked"
1. Select the "Clear Data" button from the toolbar to clear all data or data by type
2. Select "Download Data" from the toolbar to download your spreadsheet as a .csv file